Thursday, January 27, 2011

Happy National Chocolate Cake Day! [Cake Recipe]


Who knew there was a national holiday for all the chocolate cake lovers out there! And there's only one way to celebrate this momentous occasion...by baking a delicious chocolate cake!

Here's a recipe that has been passed on from my grandmother, to my mom, and now to me (and hopefully one day to my daughter):

Chocolate Fudge Cake

1 c. Wesson oil
½ c. cocoa
½ c. water
2 c. sugar
1 ½ c. flour
1 t. soda
1 c. buttermilk
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
½ t. salt

Directions:

Measure oil, cocoa, water and sugar in medium saucepan over medium high heat.  Stir until sugar is dissolved.  Cook until bubbles begin to form on side of mixture.  Take off stove and let cool.  In mixing bowl, sift flour and salt together.  In pan of cooled mixture add eggs, one at a time.  Add flour mixture and buttermilk (mixed with soda) alternately.  Mix well.  Add vanilla.  Mixture will be thin and may have lumps. Pour mixture into 9-inch round cake pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick stuck in the middle of the cake comes out clean.

This cake is delicious unfrosted. But if you would like to add some more sweetness, store-bought or even homemade chocolate frosting is the way to go! I have made this several times, and it is always a hit. :0)

Happy National Chocolate Cake Day! How will you celebrate?

Sharing this recipe with [these] linky parties.



[Jen]

13 comments:

  1. Hello YummmM!

    Would love you to drop in and share here too!
    http://choochmagooz.blogspot.com/2011/01/food-fight-friday-cupcakes-for-cancer.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! It looks fabulous! I wish I would've known it was chocolate cake day. I totally would've used that excuse to make a cake :) Yours looks so good. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an especially good looking cake. There is something about buttermilk in a cake -- just makes it better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this. It looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What day could be better than National Chocolate Cake Day!! Thanks for sharing :)
    thefarmgirlrecipes.blogspot.com

    The Farm Girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my heck! This looks just heavenly!!! Who knew there was a chocolate cake day?! I wish I had a piece of this to celebrate! =o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Thanks for sharing... I think I will make this today! I am a new follower... please stop by:

    http://justcraftytoday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey! that looks like a very tasty cake!
    i have a dumb quwstion but because english is not my language i have to ask: the first part of the discription: is it for the filling inside the cake or am i supposed to mix it with the flour mixture...?

    and how do i make the prosting?

    i hope i was clear enough...

    thanks!
    Rinat

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinkin?