Thursday, June 10, 2010

[Transformation Thursday: Little Girl's Closet]

Well, I have officially begun the transformation. I am starting to work on my daughter's new room as she transitions out of the crib and into her "big girl bed". I know, such a sad day to realize my baby is no longer a baby...


So first things first...paint, paint, paint! The paint we used to paint the room is called "Silver Threads" by Olympic. I wanted it to be a neutral color (other than brown, beige, etc.) that she can keep well into her teenage years. But when I started painting it on the wall, it had sort of a bluish tint to it. Not sure if I like that or not. We'll see if it grows on me. But my main focus was to set up her closet. After removing her door and knocking down a wall, this is what it looked like:


After painting the walls:


Completely bare I know. But full of possibilities! Then (my favorite part!) it was time to decorate. We put up some wooden shelves we bought a Lowe's and staggered them so that there's room for her long hanging stuff. And I put some sheer curtains on a dowel rod in place of the "door". Maybe this will give her motivation to keep her closet tidy! (hey, a mom can dream, right?) So here's what it looks like now:


I know I am going to be changing it up a bunch of times (due to my decorating ADD), but I am pleased with where it is all going. Oh, and I also wanted to share with you a chandelier that I bought from Goodwill for 10 bucks. Just picture it gold and extremely ugly. Got the picture in your mind? Okay, now see the transformation:


Don't you just love the little glass ball in the center? Totally gives it character!


Just a few coats of glossy white spray paint later! Oh and I also got the lamp shades at Goodwill for $1.99 each. I spotted them at Lowe's for $6.99 each. Ahh...don't you just love that feeling of saving money? :0) Bonus: I got a cute little lamp + lampshade for 7 bucks at Goodwill, too! (can ya tell I love Goodwill?) I love it that it matches the chandelier.


So that's just part of what I am doing in my daughter's room. I am having fun with it, but I know it will take some time. My goal is to be finished with it by the end of the summer.

PREVIEW:
Isn't this just a darling set of table and chairs?? It was mine when I was a little girl, so I am passing it on to my little girl. :0) But it is in desperate need of a paint job. Stay tuned for later posts about this!!

The Girl Creative

5 comments:

  1. Your little girl's closet looks so sweet! =]

    I love the curtains in place of a door. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen-
    Love that sweet little table and chair set. What a precious gift to pass on!

    Did you know that you have your blogger settings set to not include your e-mail when you post a comment on a blog? Perhaps you know that and that's how you want it - that's cool. But I sure like to be able to e-mail a quick response to everyone who comments on my blog!!! :) You can turn on e-mail responses on your blogger profile page if you want people to be able to respond to your comments.

    Thanks so much for coming by twelve crafts! Hope you are having a GREAT weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, so cute! What a great idea. It's sort of half closet half play area! So fun.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinkin?